Pedestrians crossing the stree.
- Pedestrian is defined as something dull, boring or lacking inspiration or excitement.
An example of pedestrian is a play or book that is boring, lacks excitement and has no inspiration.
- The definition of a pedestrian is a person who is walking along a road or some developed area to get where he needs to go.
An example of a pedestrian is a person who is walking to work.
- going or done on foot; walking
- of or for pedestrians: a pedestrian crossing
- lacking interest or imagination; prosaic; ordinary and dull
Origin of pedestrianfrom Classical Latin pedester, on foot from pes (gen. pedis), foot + -ian
- Of, relating to, or made for pedestrians: a pedestrian bridge.
- Going or performed on foot: a pedestrian journey.
- Undistinguished; ordinary: pedestrian prose. See Synonyms at dull.
Origin of pedestrianFrom Latin pedester pedestr- going on foot from pedes a pedestrian from pēs ped- foot ; see ped- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more pedestrian, superlative most pedestrian)
The use of pedestrian in the sense of ordinary, dull, everyday, etc. has begun to become unfashionable in the 21st century, mainly due to the desire in many urban locations around the world to promote walking and cycling as healthy, less polluting, and less space consuming alternatives to driving. Young people in particular are unlikely to use pedestrian in the ordinary or dull sense.
From Latin pedestri-, from pedester.