- The definition of walking is related to strolling or moving with the feet.
An example of walking used as an adjective is in the phrase "a walking tour," which means a tour in which people move from point a to point b using their feet.
- Walking is defined as the act of strolling.
An example of walking is a foot tour around the city.
A woman walking her dog.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- that walks
- that is able to walk
- for use by a walker, hiker, etc.
- characterized by walking, hiking, etc.: a walking trip through Wales
- in human form: a walking encyclopedia
- ☆ that is drawn by an animal and guided by a person walking: a walking plow
- that moves back and forth or up and down: a walking beam
- that moves in a manner suggestive of walking: a walking crane
- permitting the patient to be ambulatory: walking pneumonia
- the act of a person or thing that walks
- manner of walking; gait
- the condition of the ground, a path, etc. with reference to its suitability for walking on
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Able to walk despite injury or illness.
- Regarded as having the capabilities or qualities of a specified object: a teacher who is a walking dictionary.
- Used, intended, or suitable for walking: walking clothes; a walking trail; walking distance.
- Marked by the act of walking: a walking trip.
- Guided by a person who walks alongside. Used of a machine or farming tool.
- The action of one that walks.
- The state of the surface on which one walks: The walking was treacherous after the ice storm.