- that rides
- used in or for riding or traveling: a riding costume, riding horses
- designed to be operated by a rider: a riding mower
- any of the three former administrative divisions (North Riding, East Riding, and West Riding) of Yorkshire, England
- any similar division in the Commonwealth; specif., a Canadian electoral district
Origin of ridingMiddle English (t)riding from Old English -thrithing, a third part (only in Classical Latin contexts) from Old Norse thrithjungr from thrithi, third: initial t was lost to the preceding sound in compounds formed with North-, East-, and West-
- The act of riding.
- Horseback riding.
- An administrative division or electoral division in Canada.
- Any one of three former administrative divisions of Yorkshire, England.
Origin of ridingMiddle English alteration of trithing from Old English thrithing from Old Norse thridhjungr third part from thridhi third ; see trei- in Indo-European roots.
- Present participle of ride.
From Middle English, from Old English *Ã¾riÃ°ing, from Old Norse Ã¾riÃ°jungr (“third part")