- Present participle of pedal.
Variant of pedal
- of or having to do with the foot or feet
- of or operated by a pedal or pedals
Origin of pedalClassical Latin pedalis ; from pes (gen. pedis), foot
- a lever operated by the foot, used in transmitting motion, as on a bicycle, or a pad pressed by the foot in activating a mechanism, as on a sewing machine, so as to operate a device
- such a lever or pad used to change the tone or volume of a musical instrument, as an organ or harp
Origin of pedalMFr pédale < It pedale < L pedalis: see pedalthe