The ankles of a woman and baby.
ankle definition by Webster's New World
- the joint that connects the foot and the leg
- the area of the leg between the foot and calf
Origin: Middle English ancle, ancleou ; from Old English ancleow (& uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old Norse ǫkkla) ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ang-, limb, variant, variety of an unverified form ank-, to bend from source angle, angle, Classical Greek ankōn, elbow, ankylos, crooked
ankle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The joint formed by the articulation of the lower leg bones with the talus. The ankle connects the foot with the leg.
- The slender section of the leg immediately above the foot.
Origin: Middle English ancle, ankel, partly from Old English anclēow and partly of Scandinavian origin.
ankle - Medical Definition
- The joint between the leg and foot in which the tibia and fibula articulate with the talus.
- The region of the ankle joint.
- The anklebone.