- The definition of a haunch is the back part of a human or an animal including the hip, buttock and top of the thigh.
An example of a haunch is what a horse stands up on when he lifts his front two legs.
The haunches of a pair of elephants.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the part of the body including the hip, buttock, and thickest part of the thigh
- an animal's loin and leg together; joint of venison, mutton, etc.
- Archit. either of the sides of an arch from the point of rising to the vertex
Origin: Middle English haunche from Old French hanche from Gmc, as inch(es) Middle Dutch hanke, haunch
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The hip, buttock, and upper thigh in humans and animals.
- The loin and leg of a four-footed animal, especially as used for food: a haunch of venison.
- Architecture Either of the sides of an arch, curving down from the apex to an impost.
Origin: Middle English haunche, from Old French hanche, from Frankish *hanka.