- heavy and unpalatable: said of food
- heavily built; bulky and slow in movement
- dull; tedious; uninteresting
- drab, unfashionable, or unattractive
- stubbornly old-fashioned; narrow and conventional
Origin of stodgyfrom stodge + -y
- a. Dull, unimaginative, and commonplace. See Synonyms at dull.b. Old-fashioned and stuffy: “Why is the middle-class so stodgy—so utterly without a sense of humor!” ( Katherine Mansfield )
- Indigestible and starchy; heavy: stodgy food.
- Solidly built; stocky.
Origin of stodgyFrom stodge thick filling food from stodge to cram
(comparative stodgier, superlative stodgiest)