- Terrestrial means relating to the earth or those who live there.
An example of a terrestrial being is an animal.
- The definition of a terrestrial is someone who lives on Earth.
An example of a terrestrial is a person who lives on the planet.
- of this world; worldly; earthly; mundane
- of, constituting, or representing the earth: a terrestrial globe
- consisting of land as distinguished from water
- living on land rather than in water, in the air, in trees, etc.
- growing on land or in the soil
- of the four small, rocky inner planets of the solar system, specif. Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars
Origin: Middle English terrestrialle from Classical Latin terrestris from terra, terra
- terrestrially adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to the earth or its inhabitants.
- Having a worldly, mundane character or quality.
- Of, relating to, or composed of land.
- Biology Living or growing on land; not aquatic: a terrestrial plant or animal.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin terrestris, from terra, earth; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
- ter·resˈtri·al·ly adverb
- ter·resˈtri·al·ness noun
terrestrial - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
terrestrial - Science Definition
- Relating to Earth or its inhabitants.
- Relating to, living on, or growing on land.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.