- Terrestrial means relating to the earth or those who live there.
An example of a terrestrial being is an animal.
- The definition of a terrestrial is someone who lives on Earth.
An example of a terrestrial is a person who lives on the planet.
- of this world; worldly; earthly; mundane
- of, constituting, or representing the earth: a terrestrial globe
- consisting of land as distinguished from water
- living on land rather than in water, in the air, in trees, etc.
- growing on land or in the soil
- of the four small, rocky inner planets of the solar system, specif. Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars
Origin of terrestrialMiddle English terrestrialle from Classical Latin terrestris from terra, Terra
an inhabitant of the earth
- Of or relating to the earth or its inhabitants.
- Biology Living or growing on land or on or in the ground; not aquatic, arboreal, or epiphytic: terrestrial mammals; terrestrial apes; terrestrial orchids.
- Astronomy Similar to the planet earth in size or composition: terrestrial planets.
- Transmitted from structures on the earth and not involving satellites: terrestrial radio.
- Archaic Of or relating to the earth rather than heaven.
An inhabitant of the earth.
Origin of terrestrialMiddle English from Latin terrestris from terra earth ; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
- Of, relating to, or inhabiting the land of the Earth or its inhabitants.
- Of, relating to, or composed of land.
- Living or growing in or on land (as opposed to other habitat); not aquatic, etc.
- a terrestrial plant
- (astronomy) Of a planet, being composed primarily of silicate rocks or metals; see also terrestrial planet.
- Concerned with the world or worldly matters.
- (Mormonism) Of or pertaining to the second highest degree of glory.
- (broadcasting) Broadcast using radio waves as opposed to satellite or cable.