- Terrestrial means relating to the earth or those who live there.
An example of a terrestrial being is an animal.
- The definition of a terrestrial is someone who lives on Earth.
An example of a terrestrial is a person who lives on the planet.
- of this world; worldly; earthly; mundane
- of, constituting, or representing the earth: a terrestrial globe
- consisting of land as distinguished from water
- living on land rather than in water, in the air, in trees, etc.
- growing on land or in the soil
- of the four small, rocky inner planets of the solar system, specif. Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars
Origin of terrestrialMiddle English terrestrialle ; from Classical Latin terrestris ; from terra, Terra
- Of or relating to the earth or its inhabitants.
- Biology Living or growing on land or on or in the ground; not aquatic, arboreal, or epiphytic: terrestrial mammals; terrestrial apes; terrestrial orchids.
- Astronomy Similar to the planet earth in size or composition: terrestrial planets.
- Transmitted from structures on the earth and not involving satellites: terrestrial radio.
- Archaic Of or relating to the earth rather than heaven.
Origin of terrestrialMiddle English, from Latin terrestris, from terra, earth; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
- Of, relating to, or inhabiting the land of the Earth or its inhabitants.
- Of, relating to, or composed of land.
- Living or growing in or on land (as opposed to other habitat); not aquatic, etc.
- a terrestrial plant
- (astronomy) Of a planet, being composed primarily of silicate rocks or metals; see also terrestrial planet.
- Concerned with the world or worldly matters.
- (Mormonism) Of or pertaining to the second highest degree of glory.
- (broadcasting) Broadcast using radio waves as opposed to satellite or cable.