- An example of an aquatic animal is a fish.
- An example of an aquatic sport is water skiing.
- growing or living in or upon water: aquatic plants
- done in or upon the water: aquatic sports
Origin of aquaticClassical Latin aquaticus ; from aqua, water
- an aquatic plant or animal
- aquatic sports or performances
- Consisting of, relating to, or being in water: an aquatic environment.
- Living solely or chiefly in or on the water: aquatic animals and plants.
- Taking place in or on the water: an aquatic sport.
- An organism that lives solely or chiefly in or on the water.
- aquatics Sports Athletic activities performed in or on the water.
Origin of aquaticMiddle English aquatique, from Old French, from Latin aqu&amacron;ticus, from aqua, water; see akw-&amacron;- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more aquatic, superlative most aquatic)
- Relating to water; living in or near water, taking place in water.