- The definition of a modus operandi is a way of doing something.
An example of modus operandi is driving on the left side of the road in the US.
a way of doing or accomplishing something
Origin of modus operandiClassical Latin
nounpl. mo·di operandi Abbr. MO
- A method of operating or functioning.
- A person's manner of working.
Origin of modus operandiNew Latin modus operandī : Latin modus, mode + Latin operandī, genitive sing. gerund of operārī, to work.
(plural modi operandi)
- (colloquial) A person or thing's normal mode of operation.
- (law enforcement) A known criminal's established habits and mode of work when committing specific offences, especially fraud, matched with characteristics of an unsolved crime to narrow down (limit to a specific list) or profile suspects.
modus operandi - Legal Definition
A method of operating.