- Performance is defined as acting, singing, playing an instrument or otherwise showing a craft to a group of people.
An example of performance is a symphony playing at a town hall.
- The definition of performance is how effective something or someone is at doing a good job.
- An example of performance is what is checked when an employee has an annual review at work.
- An example of performance is what is improved on an assembly line when a machine is repaired.
performance definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of performing; execution, accomplishment, fulfillment, etc.
- operation or functioning, usually with regard to effectiveness, as of a machine
- something done or performed; deed or feat
- a formal exhibition or presentation before an audience, as a play, musical program, etc.; show
- one's part in this
Origin: Late Middle English parfourmaunce ; from Middle French
performance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of performing or the state of being performed.
- The act or style of performing a work or role before an audience.
- The way in which someone or something functions: The pilot rated the airplane's performance in high winds.
- A presentation, especially a theatrical one, before an audience.
- Something performed; an accomplishment.
- Linguistics One's actual use of language in actual situations.
performance - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The degree to which a feat is being or has been accomplished. For example, the level of success of a salesperson in achieving a monthly goal of writing orders for new customers.
- The return provided by an investment.
- In law, satisfying an obligation.
performance - Legal Definition
- The successful fulfillment of a contractual obligation.
- . May be a promise of future payment in exchange for a contractual obligation’s being done.
Partial fulfillment of obligations under a contract.performance clause
A distinct section or provision of a legal document or piece of legislation.specific performance
The requirement of performance of obligations as stated in the terms of an agreement, according to the exact requirements, on theory that compensation in damages would be in- adequate to give recipient of the performance the “benefit of the bargain.” Generally required in situations of unique services or goods.