- Unemployment is defined as the situation of being without a job.
- If 10 percent of people in America are looking for work and cannot find it, this is an example of when the unemployment rate is 10 percent.
- If you are fired from your job and do not have a new one, this is an example of unemployment.
unemployment definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the state of being unemployed; lack of employment
- the number or percentage of persons in the normal labor force who are out of work
unemployment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The state of being unemployed, especially involuntarily.
- The percentage or number of people who are involuntarily unemployed: Unemployment has been shrinking throughout the recovery.
- Unemployment compensation.