- the state of being unemployed; lack of employment
- the number or percentage of persons in the normal labor force who are out of work
Unemployment has to do with not having a job.
- If 10 percent of people in America are looking for work and cannot find it, this is an example of when the unemployment rate is 10 percent.
- If you are fired from your job and do not have a new one, this is an example of unemployment.
Unemployment is defined as the situation of being without a job.
- The state of being unemployed, especially involuntarily.
- The percentage or number of people who are involuntarily unemployed: Unemployment has been shrinking throughout the recovery.
- Unemployment insurance.
(countable and uncountable, plural unemployments)
- The state of having no job; joblessness.
- Unemployment made Jack depressed.
- The phenomenon of joblessness in an economy.
- Unemployment has been considered a cause of crime.
- The level of joblessness in an economy, often measured as a percentage of the workforce.
- Unemployment was reported at 5.2% in May, up from 4.9% in April.
- (countable) A type of joblessness due to a particular economic mechanism.
- All unemployments, seasonal, frictional, cyclical, classical, whatever, mean that you're out of work.
- (countable) An instance or period of joblessness.
- Until them his life had consisted of low-paying jobs, numberous unemployments, and drug use.
- classical unemployment
- cyclical unemployment
- frictional unemployment
- Marxian unemployment
- seasonal unemployment
- structural unemployment
- technological unemployment
- The unemployment rate in Ouray was one-point-four.
- Rights do not mean much, he reasoned, to those with an "empty stomach, shirtless back, roofless dwellings ... unemployment and poverty, no education or medical attention."
- There was perpetual rioting and anarchy, and interference in the affairs of the government by the working men, while at the same time poverty and unemployment increased owing to the timidity of capital and the disorders, until at last in 1382 a reaction set in, and order was restored by the gild companies.
- The former supervises the labour laws and endeavours to deal with unemployment; the latter has done much practical teaching, inspection, &c. Butter, cheese and New Zealand hemp are by law graded and branded by departmental inspectors before export.
- How many of them have filed for unemployment since they graduated?