Unemployment is defined as the situation of being without a job.noun
- If 10 percent of people in America are looking for work and cannot find it, this is an example of when the unemployment rate is 10 percent.
- If you are fired from your job and do not have a new one, this is an example of unemployment.
- the state of being unemployed; lack of employment
- the number or percentage of persons in the normal labor force who are out of work
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The state of being unemployed, especially involuntarily.
- The percentage or number of people who are involuntarily unemployed: Unemployment has been shrinking throughout the recovery.
- Unemployment compensation.