- not employed; without work
- not being used; idle
people who are out of work
- Out of work, especially involuntarily; jobless.
- Not being used; idle.
noun(used with a pl. verb)
People who are involuntarily out of work considered as a group. Used with the.
- Having no profession (despite being able and willing to work).
- Having no use, not doing work
- Unemployed people.
- The unemployed are a growing portion of the population.
- This is not a true noun. It is an example of a "fused-head" construction in which an adjective (possessive or determiner) is assumed to have fused with an omitted noun which is grammatically required.
un- +"Ž employed