- Usage is defined as the way that something is being used, or to the proper way to make use of something such as a word or phrase or tool.
- When the power company measures how and when people use power, this is an example of a study of usage.
- When you use a word incorrectly, this is an example of an improper usage.
usage definition by Webster's New World
- the act, way, or extent of using or treating; treatment; use
- long-continued or established practice; habitual or customary use or way of acting; custom; habit
- the way in which a word, phrase, etc. is used to express a particular idea; customary manner of using the words of a given language in speaking or writing, or an instance of this
Origin: Old French ; from Midieval Latin usagium ; from Classical Latin usus: see use
usage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act, manner, or amount of using; use: the usage of a technical term; an instrument that measures water usage.b. The act or manner of treating; treatment: subjected the car to rough usage.
- A usual, habitual, or accepted practice. See Synonyms at habit.
- The way in which words or phrases are actually used, spoken, or written in a speech community.
- A particular expression in speech or writing: a nonce usage.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from us, from Latin ūsus, from past participle of ūtī, to use.