Someone about to bash a clock with a hammer.
- The definition of a bash is a strong hit, or a fun celebration.
- An example of a bash is a baseball player's homerun hit.
- An example of a bash is a big New Year's Eve party.
- To bash is to hit very hard or to say unkind things about someone or something.
- An example of bash is to stub your toe into a chair if you are not being careful.
- An example of bash is what you might say to someone for whom you have great distaste.
- to strike with a violent blow; smash (in)
- to attack or abuse, as with blows or with words
Origin of bashechoic; akin to or from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old Norse an unverified form basca, to strike
- Informal a violent blow
- Slang a gala event or party
have a bash at
Slang to make an attempt at
verbbashed, bash·ing, bash·es
- To strike with a heavy, crushing blow: The thug bashed the hood of the car with a sledgehammer.
- To beat or assault severely: The police arrested the men who bashed an immigrant in the park.
- Informal To criticize (another) harshly, accusatorially, and threateningly: “My point is not to bash teachers or healthcare providers” ( Richard Weissbourd )
To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism.
- Informal A heavy, crushing blow.
- Slang A celebration; a party.
Origin of bashOrigin unknown