Two men having a brawl.
- The definition of a brawl is a fight or an argument, especially a noisy or violent one.
When people start fighting loudly at a party, this is an example of a brawl.
- To brawl is to become involved in a noisy or violent fight.
When you start punching and fighting someone, this is an example of a time when you brawl.
- to quarrel or fight noisily
- to flow noisily over rapids, falls, etc.: said of water
Origin of brawlMiddle English braulen, to cry out, quarrel; probably akin to Dutch brallen, to boast
- a rough, noisy quarrel or fight; row
- Slang a noisy, drunken party
- A noisy quarrel or fight.
- Slang A loud party.
intransitive verbbrawled, brawl·ing, brawls
Origin of brawlMiddle English braul, from braullen, to quarrel.
- A fight, usually with a large number of people involved.
(third-person singular simple present brawls, present participle brawling, simple past and past participle brawled)