- the act of disputing; dispute
- discussion marked by formal debate, often as an exercise
Origin of disputationMiddle English disputacioun from Classical Latin disputatio
- The act of disputing; debate.
- An academic exercise consisting of a formal debate or an oral defense of a thesis.
- The act of disputing; a reasoning or argumentation in opposition to something, or on opposite sides; controversy in words; verbal contest respecting the truth of some fact, opinion, proposition, or argument.
- A rhetorical exercise in which parties reason in opposition to each other on some question proposed.
From Old French disputation, from Latin disputatio