- Arguing is defined as explaining why you are for or against something.
An example of arguing is explaining your position on the death penalty by providing specific facts and figures.
- The definition of arguing is having a fight or disagreement with someone.
An example of arguing is when you and your spouse fight over who has to walk the dog.
Variant of argue
- to give reasons (for or against a proposal, proposition, etc.)
- to have a disagreement; quarrel; dispute
Origin: Middle English arguen ; from Old French arguer ; from Vulgar Latin argutare, for Classical Latin argutari, to prattle, frequentative of arguere, to make clear, prove ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ar(e)g-, gleaming (see argent); Old French meaning and form influenced, influence by arguere
- to give reasons for and against; discuss; debate
- to try to prove by giving reasons; maintain; contend
- to give evidence of; seem to prove; indicate: his manners argue a good upbringing
- to persuade (into or out of an opinion, etc.) by giving reasons
- arguer noun