- The definition of arguing is having a fight or disagreement with someone.
An example of arguing is when you and your spouse fight over who has to walk the dog.
- Arguing is defined as explaining why you are for or against something.
An example of arguing is explaining your position on the death penalty by providing specific facts and figures.
Variant of argue
intransitive verbargued, arguing
- to give reasons (for or against a proposal, proposition, etc.)
- to have a disagreement; quarrel; dispute
Origin of argueMiddle English arguen ; from Old French arguer ; from Vulgar Latin argutare, for Classical Latin argutari, to prattle, frequentative of arguere, to make clear, prove ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ar(e)g-, gleaming (see argent); Old French meaning and form influenced, influence by arguere
- to give reasons for and against; discuss; debate
- to try to prove by giving reasons; maintain; contend
- to give evidence of; seem to prove; indicate: his manners argue a good upbringing
- to persuade (into or out of an opinion, etc.) by giving reasons