- Diminished, damaged, or weakened: an impaired sense of smell.
- Functioning poorly or incompetently: a driver so tired as to be impaired.
- Having a physical or mental disability: an impaired child in need of special assistance.
noun(used with a pl. verb)
People who have a physical or mental disability considered as a group: a swimming class for the physically impaired.
- Nouns to which "impaired" is often applied: vision, hearing, mobility, healing, fertility, health, judgment, cognition, consciousness, memory, concentration, function, performance, ability, capacity, person, child, adult.
- Adverbs often applied to "impaired": visually, physically, mentally, emotionally, cognitively.
- Simple past tense and past participle of impair.