- The definition of a favorite is a person or thing that is best liked or treated in a special way.
- An example of a favorite is someone liking the color blue more than other colors.
- An example of a favorite is a particular television show that you really don't want to miss.
A little girl with her favorite toy.
favorite definition by Webster's New World
- a person or thing regarded with special liking, or more highly than others; specif., a person liked very much and granted special privileges as by a king, high official, etc.
- a contestant regarded as most likely to win
Origin: Middle French ; from Italian favorito, past participle of favorire, to favor ; from favore ; from Classical Latin favor, favor
favorite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. One that enjoys special favor or regard.b. One that is trusted, indulged, or preferred above all others, especially by a superior: a favorite of the monarch.
- A contestant or competitor regarded as most likely to win.
Origin: Obsolete French favorit, from Old Italian favorito, past participle of favorire, to favor, from favore, favor, from Latin favor; see favor.