- The definition of a favorite is a person or thing that is best liked or treated in a special way.
- An example of a favorite is someone liking the color blue more than other colors.
- An example of a favorite is a particular television show that you really don't want to miss.
A little girl with her favorite toy.
- a person or thing regarded with special liking, or more highly than others; specif., a person liked very much and granted special privileges as by a king, high official, etc.
- a contestant regarded as most likely to win
Origin of favoriteMiddle French ; from Italian favorito, past participle of favorire, to favor ; from favore ; from Classical Latin favor, favor
- a. One that enjoys special favor or regard.b. One that is trusted, indulged, or preferred above all others, especially by a superior: a favorite of the monarch.
- A contestant or competitor regarded as most likely to win.
Origin of favoriteObsolete French favorit, from Old Italian favorito, past participle of favorire, to favor, from favore, favor, from Latin favor; see favor.
(comparative more favorite, superlative most favorite)
- That is my favorite flavor of ice cream, I'd eat it daily if I could.
- Preferred one, one with special favor
- The teacher's favorite always went first.
- Expected or most probable to win.
- He's the favorite, he'll probably be elected.
(third-person singular simple present favorites, present participle favoriting, simple past and past participle favorited)
From Old French favorit or favori past participle of favorir (“to favor”).