- Favoritism is defined as the act of giving preferential treatment to someone or something.
When a teacher always calls on the kids who sit in the front row and is nicer to those kids, this is an example of a time when the teacher shows favoritism.
favoritism definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the showing of more kindness and indulgence to some person or persons than to others; act of being unfairly partial
- the condition of being a favorite
favoritism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A display of partiality toward a favored person or group.
- The state of being held in special favor.
favoritism - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also discrimination.favoritism the practice of giving preferential treatment to a person or persons. nepotism favoritism shown to nephews or other relatives, as in politics or business. —nepotist, n. —nepotic, adj. partisanism 1. favoritism shown to members of one’s own party, faction, sect, or cause. 2. strong adherence to the tenets of one’s party, faction, sect, or cause. —partisan, n., adj.