- The definition of luscious is something that is very pleasing to the sense of taste or smell or someone who has strong sexual appeal.
- An example of something that would be described as luscious is a rich and delicious breakfast.
- An example of someone who would be described as luscious is an incredibly sexy supermodel.
A luscious breakfast.
- highly gratifying to taste or smell, esp. because of a rich sweetness; delicious
- delighting any of the senses
- having a strong sensual appeal; voluptuous
- Archaic sickeningly sweet or full-flavored; cloying
Origin of lusciousMiddle English lucius, probably variant, variety of licious, aphetic form of delicious, influenced, influence by lusch, lush
- Sweet and pleasant to taste or smell: a luscious melon. See Synonyms at delicious.
- Richly appealing to the senses or the mind: a luscious, vivid description.
- Having strong sensual or sexual appeal; attractive.
- Archaic Excessively sweet; cloying.
Origin of lusciousMiddle English lucius, alteration of licious, perhaps short for delicious, delicious; see Delicious .
(comparative more luscious, superlative most luscious)
From earlier lushious, lussyouse (â€œluscious, richly sweet, deliciousâ€), a corruption of *lustious, from lusty (â€œpleasant, deliciousâ€) +â€Ž -ous. Shakespeare uses both lush (short for lushious) and lusty in the selfsame sense: 'How lush and lusty the grass looks'. â€”Temp. ii. I.52. See also lush, lusty.