- The definition of obscene is offensive, indecent or disgusting.
An example of something obscene is a curse word.
Using bad language can be obscene.
- offensive to one's feelings, or to prevailing notions, of modesty or decency; lewd
- disgusting; repulsive
- Law designating or of books, films, etc. which when judged by contemporary community standards, are found to appeal to a prurient interest in sex, be patently offensive, and have no serious artistic, scientific, or social value
Origin of obsceneFrench obscène ; from Classical Latin obscenus, obscaenus ; from obs-, variant, variety of ob- (see ob-) + caenum, filth ; from Indo-European an unverified form weino- ; from base an unverified form kwei-, muck, filth from source Old Norse hvein, swampy land
- a. Offensive to accepted standards of decency.b. Law Of or relating to materials that can be regulated or criminalized because their depiction of nudity, sex, or excretion is patently offensive and without artistic or scientific value.
- a. Morally repulsive; disgusting: “The way he writes about the disease that killed her is simply obscene” (Michael Korda).b. So extreme in amount as to be objectionable or outrageous: “hammered by stratospheric rents and obscene taxes” (Joe Queenan).
Origin of obsceneLatin obscēnus.
(comparative more obscene, superlative most obscene)
- The comparative obscener and superlative obscenest, though formed by valid rules for English, are less common than more obscene and most obscene.
obscene - Legal Definition