- The definition of obscene is offensive, indecent or disgusting.
An example of something obscene is a curse word.
A woman using obscene language.
obscene definition by Webster's New World
- offensive to one's feelings, or to prevailing notions, of modesty or decency; lewd
- disgusting; repulsive
- Law designating or of books, films, etc. which when judged by contemporary community standards, are found to appeal to a prurient interest in sex, be patently offensive, and have no serious artistic, scientific, or social value
Origin: French obscène ; from Classical Latin obscenus, obscaenus ; from obs-, variant, variety of ob- (see ob-) plush caenum, filth ; from Indo-European an unverified form weino- ; from base an unverified form kwei-, muck, filth from source Old Norse hvein, swampy land
- obscenely adverb
obscene definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Offensive to accepted standards of decency or modesty.
- Inciting lustful feelings; lewd.
- Repulsive; disgusting: “The way he writes about the disease that killed her is simply obscene” (Michael Korda).
- So large in amount as to be objectionable or outrageous: “local merchants in nearby stores get hammered by stratospheric rents and obscene taxes” (Joe Queenan).
Origin: Latin obscēnus.
- ob·sceneˈly adverb
obscene - Legal Definition