Obscenity is an offensive word, expression or behavior.
The "f" word or other swear words are an example of obscenity.
- the state or quality of being obscene
- pl. -·ties an obscene remark, act, event, etc.
Origin of obscenityFrench obscénité from Classical Latin obscenitas
- The state or quality of being obscene.
- Indecency, lewdness, or offensiveness in behavior, expression, or appearance.
- Something, such as a word, act, or expression, that is indecent or lewd.
- Something that is offensive or repulsive to the senses: “What had once been a gentle hill covered with lush grass turned into a brown obscenity of bare earth and smoke” ( Tom Clancy )
aischrolatreia 1. the cult of the obscene. 2. the worship of filth. aischrology the vocabulary of obscenity; linguistic filthiness. Comstockery the act or policy of censorship or expurgation on moral grounds, after Anthony Comstock (1844-1915), campaigner against vice. coprolalia the habitual use of foul language. coprolalomania a mania for foul speech. coprology 1. the introduction of obscenity into art and literature. 2. obscene literature. 3. the study of obscene literature. 4. scatology. coprophilia a love of obscenity. pornographomania an abnormal interest in pornography. pornography any literature, film, or pictures that are judged obscene or indecent, especially because of sexual explicitness. —pornographer, n. —pornographic, adj. rhyparography the painting of sordid and obscene subjects. —rhyparographer, n. —rhyparographic, adj. scatology the study of or preoccupation with excrement or obscenity. Also called coprology. —scatologic, scatological, adj.
- (countable) Something that is obscene.
- Martha wouldn't go into the art museum because, as she put it, "They have obscenities just sitting out, on display!"
- (countable) An act of obscene behaviour.
- Bestiality was outlawed as an obscenity in the strongly conservative community.
- (countable) Specifically, an offensive word; a profanity; a dirty word.
- Eliza couldn't stand her daughter's music; as she saw it, it was just shouted obscenities and a heavy drum beat.
- (uncountable) The qualities that make something obscene; lewdness, indecency, or offensive behaviour.
- The coalition of religious conservatives was campaigning against, in their view, rampant obscenity in the entertainment industry.