- Profanity is defined as vulgar or obscene language or behavior.
The use of swear words is an example of profanity.
profanity definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the state or quality of being profane
- pl. profanities something profane; esp., profane language or the use of profane language
Origin: Ecclesiastical Late Latin profanitas
profanity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pro·fan·i·ties
- The condition or quality of being profane.
- a. Abusive, vulgar, or irreverent language.b. The use of such language.