- An example of filth is a room filled with cat feces.
- An example of filth is what some people call pornography.
- disgustingly offensive dirt, garbage, etc.
- anything considered as foul as this; esp., anything viewed as grossly indecent or obscene
- gross moral corruption
Origin of filthMiddle English ; from Old English fylthe ; from base of ful (see foul) + -th
- a. Foul or dirty matter.b. Disgusting garbage or refuse.
- A dirty or corrupt condition; foulness.
- Something, such as language or printed matter, considered obscene, prurient, or immoral.
Origin of filthMiddle English, from Old English f&ymacron;lth; see p&ubremac;- in Indo-European roots.
From Middle English filth, from Old English fȳlþ (“foulness, filth”), from Proto-Germanic *fūliþō (“foulness, filth”), from Proto-Germanic *fūlaz (“foul, corrupt, dirty, vile”), from Proto-Indo-European *pū- (“rottenness, pus”), equivalent to foul + -th. Cognate with Dutch vuilte (“filth”). More at foul.