- The definition of grunge is an alternative rock musical style started in the early 1990s featuring heavy electric guitar and dragging lyrics.
An example of grunge is the music by the band Nirvana.
- The definition of grunge is a style of fashion that includes baggy, torn clothes.
An example of grunge is a teenager wearing torn jeans and a baggy shirt and jacket.
- Slang something grungy; specif., garbage or dirt
- a form of rock music that originated in the 1990s, characterized by loud guitar and drum playing and nihilistic lyrics
- a fashion style emphasizing used, tattered, and ill-fitting, esp. baggy, clothes and including plaid flannel shirts, heavy boots, etc.
Origin of grungeprobably back-formation from grungy
- Informal Filth; dirt.
- Rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, often expressing a bleak or nihilistic outlook.
Origin of grungeBack-formation from grungy
- (informal) Dirt or filth, especially when difficult to clean.
- The cinema floor was covered in grunge deposited by the crowds.
- (informal) The state of being filthy; grubbiness.
- Chad used to work as a coal miner, but couldn't handle the constant grunge.
- A subgenre of alternative rock, originating from Seattle, Washington, which melds punk and metal.
- Alice liked to wear plaids and ripped jeans, and listen to grunge.
Back-formation from grungy.