- Squalor is defined as the condition of being filthy and wretched.
An example of squalor is a person living in an abandoned house filled with garbage and without water or electricity.
the quality or condition of being squalid; filth and wretchedness
Origin of squalorClassical Latin foulness, akin to squalere, to be filthy
A filthy and wretched condition or quality.
Origin of squalorLatin squālor, from squālēre, to be filthy; see squalid.
- Squalidness; foulness; filthiness; squalidity.
- The heterogenous indigent multitude, everywhere wearing nearly the same aspect of squalor. -- Taylor
- To bring this sort of squalor among the upper classes. -- Dickens
- Dickens also used the term to refer to those living in Squalor, such as those in the slums.
From the Latin squalor.