- The definition of a slum is a house or a neighborhood that is in poor condition and that is generally considered unsafe and not nice to live or be in.
- A dangerous and dirty part of town is an example of a slum.
- A building that is falling down and in disrepair is an example of a slum.
- To slum is to engage in behavior or hang out with people below your social class.
When a rich person goes to spend time in a really poor neighborhood, this is an example of a time when he slums.
- a usually heavily populated area of a city, characterized by poverty, poor housing, etc.
- something considered to be like a slum, as in being dilapidated or dirty
Origin of slumc. 1800 ; from cant: origin, originally sense, a room ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
intransitive verbslummed slummed, slum·ming, slums
Origin of slumOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present slums, present participle slumming, simple past and past participle slummed)
- lums, UMLS