- Wearing a skirt that is long enough to cover your bottom is an example of decency.
- A place to live and a car to drive are examples of decencies.
Decency is defined as actions that are moral, modest or socially acceptable, or is what basics are required for a good standard of living.
- the quality or condition of being decent; propriety of conduct and speech; proper behavior, modesty, courtesy, etc.
- [pl.] socially proper actions; the proprieties
- [pl.] things needed for a proper or comfortable standard of living
Origin of decencyClassical Latin decentia from decens: see decent
- The state or quality of being decent; propriety.
- Conformity to prevailing standards of propriety or modesty.
- decencies a. Social or moral proprieties.b. Surroundings or services deemed necessary for an acceptable standard of living.
(countable and uncountable, plural decencies)