- Decency is defined as actions that are moral, modest or socially acceptable, or is what basics are required for a good standard of living.
- Wearing a skirt that is long enough to cover your bottom is an example of decency.
- A place to live and a car to drive are examples of decencies.
- the quality or condition of being decent; propriety of conduct and speech; proper behavior, modesty, courtesy, etc.
- socially proper actions; the proprieties
- things needed for a proper or comfortable standard of living
Origin: Classical Latin decentia ; from decens: see decent
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. de·cen·cies
- The state or quality of being decent; propriety.
- Conformity to prevailing standards of propriety or modesty.
- decenciesa. Social or moral proprieties.b. Surroundings or services deemed necessary for an acceptable standard of living.