- The definition of purple is something that is a color that combines red and blue.
A dress that is a color between red and blue is an example of a purple dress.
- Purple is a color in between red and blue.
A color between red and blue is an example of purple.
- a dark color that is a blend of red and blue
- Now Rare
- deep crimson
- cloth or clothing of such color: an emblem of royalty or high rank
Origin of purpleMiddle English purpel ; from Old English (Northumbrian) purpl(e), dissimilated variant, variety of West Saxon purpur(e) ; from Classical Latin purpura, purple ; from Classical Greek porphyra, shellfish yielding purple dye
- of the color purple
- imperial; royal
- ornate or elaborate in literary style: usually used pejoratively: purple prose
- profane or obscene: purple language
born to the purpleor born in the purple
- Any of a group of colors with a hue between that of violet and red.
- Cloth of a color between violet and red, formerly worn as a symbol of royalty or high office.
- Imperial power; high rank: born to the purple.
- Roman Catholic Church a. The rank or office of a cardinal.b. The rank or office of a bishop.
- Of the color purple.
- Royal or imperial; regal.
- Elaborate and ornate: purple prose.
tr. & intr.v.pur·pled, pur·pling, pur·ples
Origin of purpleMiddle English, from Old English purpul, from purpure, purple garment, from Latin purpura, shellfish yielding purple dye, purple cloth, purple, from Greek porphurā.
- A colour/color that is a dark blend of red and blue; dark magenta.
- Cloth, or a garment, dyed a purple colour; especially, a purple robe, worn as an emblem of rank or authority; specifically, the purple robe or mantle worn by Ancient Roman emperors as the emblem of imperial dignity.
- to put on the imperial purple
- (by extension) Imperial power, because the colour purple was worn by emperors and kings.
- Any of various species of mollusks from which Tyrian purple dye was obtained, especially the common dog whelk.
- The purple haze cultivar of cannabis in the kush family, either pure or mixed with others, or by extension any variety of smoked marijuana.
- (medicine) purpura
- earcockle, a disease of wheat.
(comparative purpler or more purple, superlative purplest or most purple)
- (having purple as its colour): nonpurple
(third-person singular simple present purples, present participle purpling, simple past and past participle purpled)
- (intransitive) To turn purple in colour.
- (rare) A surname.