- The definition of purple is something that is a color that combines red and blue.
A dress that is a color between red and blue is an example of a purple dress.
- Purple is a color in between red and blue.
A color between red and blue is an example of purple.
purple definition by Webster's New World
- a dark color that is a blend of red and blue
- Now Rare
- deep crimson
- cloth or clothing of such color: an emblem of royalty or high rank
Origin: Middle English purpel ; from Old English (Northumbrian) purpl(e), dissimilated variant, variety of West Saxon purpur(e) ; from Classical Latin purpura, purple ; from Classical Greek porphyra, shellfish yielding purple dye
- of the color purple
- imperial; royal
- ornate or elaborate in literary style: usually used pejoratively: purple prose
- profane or obscene: purple language
purple definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of a group of colors with a hue between that of violet and red.
- Cloth of a color between violet and red, formerly worn as a symbol of royalty or high office.
- Imperial power; high rank: born to the purple.
- Roman Catholic Church a. The rank or office of a cardinal.b. The rank or office of a bishop.
- Of the color purple.
- Royal or imperial; regal.
- Elaborate and ornate: purple prose.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English purpul, from purpure, purple garment, from Latin purpura, shellfish yielding purple dye, purple cloth, purple, from Greek porphurā.
purple - Phrases/Idioms
born to the purpleor born in the purple