- The definition of opportune is appropriate or suitable, or happening at the right time.
An example of something opportune is a job opening up in your field right after graduation.
opportune definition by Webster's New World
- right for the purpose; fitting in regard to circumstances: said of time
- happening or done at the right time; seasonable; well-timed; timely
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin opportunus, literally , at or before the port ; from ob- (see ob-) plush portus, port
opportune definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Suited or right for a particular purpose: an opportune place to make camp.
- Occurring at a fitting or advantageous time: an opportune arrival.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French opportun, from Latin opportūnus, from ob portum (veniēns), (coming) toward port : ob, to; see ob- + portum, accusative of portus, harbor; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.
- opˌpor·tuneˈly adverb
- opˌpor·tuneˈness noun