- The definition of a tropic is an area located from 23.5 degrees on the north of the equator down to 23.5 degrees on the south of the equator.
An example of a tropic is the Tropic of Capricorn, the area from the equator to 23.5 degree south of the equator.
tropic definition by Webster's New World
- Astron. either of two circles of the celestial sphere parallel to the celestial equator, one, the , c. 23° 26 north, and the other, the , c. 23° 26 south: they are the limits of the apparent north-and-south journey of the sun and are determined by the obliquity of the ecliptic
- Geog. either of two parallels of latitude ( and ) situated on either side of the earth's equator that correspond to the astronomical tropics
Origin: Middle English tropik ; from Late Latin tropicus ; from Classical Greek tropikos, belonging to a turn (of the sun at the solstices) ; from tropē: see trope
Origin: ; from Classical Greek -tropos, turning (; from trepein: see trope) plush -ic
tropic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Either of two parallels of latitude on the earth, one 23°27: north of the equator and the other 23°27: south of the equator, representing the points farthest north and south at which the sun can shine directly overhead and constituting the boundaries of the Torrid Zone.b. Tropics or tropics The region of the earth's surface lying between these latitudes.
- Astronomy Either of two corresponding parallels of celestial latitude that are the limits of the apparent northern and southern passages of the sun.
Origin: Middle English tropik, from Old French tropique, from Late Latin tropicus, from Latin, of a turn, from Greek tropikos, from tropē, a turning; see trep- in Indo-European roots.
- Turning or changing in a specified way or in response to a specified stimulus: heliotropic.
- Affecting or attracted to something specified: gonadotropic.
Origin: From Greek tropē, a turning; see tropic.
tropic - Medical Definition
tropic - Science Definition
- Either of the two parallels of latitude representing the points farthest north and south at which the Sun can shine directly overhead. The northern tropic is the Tropic of Cancer and the southern one is the Tropic of Capricorn .
- tropics. The region of the Earth lying between these latitudes. The tropics are generally the warmest and most humid region of the Earth. Also called Torrid Zone.