- The definition of a globe is something round in the shape of a ball, especially the earth.
An example of a globe is a glass ball with a winter scene depicted inside.
A woman holds a globe of the Earth.
globe definition by Webster's New World
- any round, ball-shaped thing; sphere; specif.,
- the earth
- a spherical model of the earth showing the continents, seas, etc.
- a similar model of the heavens, showing the constellations, etc.
- anything shaped somewhat like a globe; specif.,
- a round glass container, as for goldfish
- a rounded glass cover for a lamp
- a small, golden ball used as a symbol of authority
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin globus, a ball: for Indo-European base see climb
globe definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A body with the shape of a sphere, especially a representation of the earth in the form of a hollow ball.
- a. The earth.b. A planet.
- A spherical or bowllike container, especially a glass cover for a light bulb.
- A sphere emblematic of sovereignty; an orb.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin globus.