- The definition of a synonym is a word that means the same or nearly the same thing as another word.
An example of synonym is small and little.
- a word having the same or nearly the same meaning in one or more senses as another in the same language
- Biol. an incorrect taxonomic name
Origin: Middle English sinonyme from Classical Latin synonymum from Glassical Greek synōnymon, of like meaning or like name from syn-, together plush onyma, a name
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or other words in a language.
- A word or an expression that serves as a figurative or symbolic substitute for another.
- Biology A scientific name of an organism or of a taxonomic group that has been superseded by another name at the same rank.
Origin: Middle English sinonyme, from Old French synonyme, from Latin synōnymum, from Greek sunōnumon, from neuter of sunōnumos, synonymous; see synonymous.
- synˌo·nymˈic, synˌo·nymˈi·cal adjective
- synˌo·nymˈi·ty noun