Synonymy is the study of words with the same or similar meaning, or the quality of being similar.
An example of synonymy is two people who have similar personalities.
- the study of synonyms
- a list or listing of synonyms, esp. one in which the terms are discriminated from one another
- the scientific names used in different nomenclature systems to designate the same species, genus, etc.
- a list of such names
- the quality of being synonymous; identity or near identity of meaning
Origin of synonymyLate Latin synonymia from Classical Greek syn?nymia
- The quality of being synonymous; equivalence of meaning.
- Study and classification of synonyms.
- A list, book, or system of synonyms.
- Biology A chronological list of the published scientific names that have been applied to a species.
- (semantics) The quality of being synonymous; sameness of meaning.
- A list or collection of synonyms, often compared and contrasted.
- The study of synonyms.
- A system of synonyms.
- (botany) The collective synonyms (all the names referring to a particular taxon, except the correct name)
- (botany) The state of not being a correct name, of being a synonym
- In 1924 this name was reduced to synonymy.
- (zoology) The collective synonyms (all the names referring to the same taxon, including the correct name)