a boundary; dividing line
on a boundary; specif., on the boundary of what is acceptable, valid, or normal; hence, having a questionable or indefinite status
- A line that establishes or marks a border.
- An indefinite area intermediate between two qualities or conditions: The borderline between love and hate is often thin.
- Informal A person with borderline personality disorder.
- a. Verging on a given quality or condition: borderline poverty.b. Of a questionable nature or quality: an applicant with borderline qualifications.
- Psychiatry Of, related to, or having borderline personality disorder.
(comparative more borderline, superlative most borderline)
- nearly; not clearly on one side or the other of a border or boundary, ambiguous.
- He is borderline hypoglycemic and needs to monitor his sugar intake.
- I would rather hire a talented layman than a university graduate with borderline qualifications.
- Showing bad taste.
- Your borderline remarks about my aunt's dress destroyed my evening.