- The definition of peripheral is something that is just outside of the main focus.
An example of peripheral is the type of vision you use to see things that are on your side.
- A peripheral is defined as a piece of equipment that works with a computer.
An example of a peripheral is a printer.
- of, belonging to, or forming a periphery
- lying at the outside or away from the central part; outer; external
- Anat. of, at, or near the surface of the body; specif., designating or of that part of a nervous system that branches out from a central nervous system
- only slightly connected with what is essential or important; merely incidental
- Related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary or periphery.
- Perceived or perceiving near the outer edges of the retina: peripheral vision.
- Anatomy a. Of the surface or outer part of a body or organ; external.b. Of, relating to, or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- Of minor relevance or importance.
(comparative more peripheral, superlative most peripheral)
From peripher-y + -al
peripheral - Computer Definition
In computing, a hardware device, such as a printer or external disk drive, that is separate from but connected to and controlled by the computer system's central processing unit (CPU).The computer system generally makes use of a program known as a driver to deal with device-specific peripheral operations.
Any input, output or storage device connected externally or internally to the computer's CPU, such as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, hard disk, graphics tablet, scanner, joystick or paddle. Pronounced "per-if-uh-rul." See peripheral bus.