- The definition of marginal is something situated on the margin, something that is only kind-of important, or something that is only a small change.
A tiny increase in taxes of less than one percent is an example of a marginal increase in taxes.
marginal definition by Webster's New World
- written or printed in the margin of a page or sheet
- of or constituting a margin
- at, on, or close to the margin or border
- close to a margin or limit, esp. a lower limit: a marginal standard of living
- limited; minimal
- on the border between being profitable and nonprofitable: a marginal business, marginal land
- of or from goods produced and sold at margin: marginal costs, marginal profits
Origin: Midieval Latin marginalis
marginal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Of, relating to, located at, or constituting a margin, a border, or an edge: the marginal strip of beach; a marginal issue that had no bearing on the election results.
- Being adjacent geographically: states marginal to Canada.
- Written or printed in the margin of a book: marginal notes.
- Barely within a lower standard or limit of quality: marginal writing ability; eked out a marginal existence.
- Economics a. Having to do with enterprises that produce goods or are capable of producing goods at a rate that barely covers production costs.b. Relating to commodities thus manufactured and sold.
- Psychology Relating to or located at the fringe of consciousness.
One that is considered to be at a lower or outer limit, as of social acceptability: “is fascinated by marginals, by people who live on the edge of society” (Dan Yakir).
- marˌgin·alˈi·ty noun
- marˈgin·al·ly adverb
marginal - Medical Definition
- Of, relating to, located at, or constituting a margin, a border, or an edge.
- Marginally within a lower standard or limit of quality.
- Relating to or located at the fringe of consciousness.
- marginality noun