A tiny increase in taxes of less than one percent is an example of a marginal increase in taxes.
The marginal strip of beach; a marginal issue that had no bearing on the election results.
States marginal to Canada.
Marginal writing ability; eked out a marginal existence.
- There were more marginal notes than text.
- Monmouthshire is a Welsh county marginal to England.
The marginal area at the edge of the salt-marsh has its own plants.
In recent years there has been an increase in violence against marginal groups.
- Of a value, or having a characteristic that is of a value, that is close to being unacceptable or leading to exclusion from a group or category.His writing ability was marginal at best.Having reviewed the test, there are two students below the required standard and three more who are marginal.
- He farmed his marginal land with difficulty.
- (politics, chiefly UK, Australia, New Zealand, of a constituency) Subject to a change in sitting member with only a small change in voting behaviour, this usually being inferred from the small winning margin of the previous election.In Bristol West, Labour had a majority of only 1,000, so the seat is considered highly marginal this time around.