- The definition of liminal is a boundary or turning point.
An example of someone liminal is a young adult about to enter college.
- Physiol., Psychol. of or at the limen, or threshold
- at a boundary or transitional point between two conditions, stages in a process, ways of life, etc.
- Intermediate between two states, conditions, or regions; transitional or indeterminate: “While doctors operate, she hangs suspended in the liminal space between life and death” (Jeremy Eichler).
- Existing at the limen. Used of stimuli.
Origin of liminalLatin līmen, līmin-, threshold + –al1.
(comparative more liminal, superlative most liminal)
From Latin liminalis, from limen, "threshold", + -alis, adjective ending