Controversial describes something that is likely to create disagreement.
Politics is an example of acontroversial topic.
- of, subject to, or stirring up controversy; debatable
- Rare liking to take part in controversy; disputatious
Origin of controversialLate Latin controversialis
- Of, producing, or marked by controversy: a controversial movie; a controversial stand on human rights.
- Fond of controversy; disputatious.
(comparative more controversial, superlative most controversial)
- Arousing controversy—a debate or discussion of opposing opinions.
- Nouns often used with "controversial": topic, subject, work, author, method, etc.