- Paul is a male name.
An example of Paul is the famous actor with the last name Newman.
Origin of PaulClassical Latin Paulus (or Classical Greek Paulos), Romans; Roman surname, probably ; from paulus, small: akin to paucus, few
- (original name Saul) (died 67?); a Jew of Tarsus who became the Apostle of Christianity to the Gentiles: author of several Letters in the New Testament: his day is June 29also Saint Paul
- 1754-1801: czar of Russia (1796-1801): son of Catherine II & Peter III
- (born Alessandro Farnese) 1468-1549; pope (1534-49)
- (born Giovanni Battista Montini) 1897-1978; pope (1963-78)
, Saint AD 5?–67?
- Alternative form of pawl.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
From Latin Paulus, from paulus (“small").