- Explode is defined as to make a loud burst, blow up or reject.
- An example of to explode is laughing loudly at a joke.
- An example of to explode is a volcano erupting.
- An example of to explode is to expose an error in a widely-held belief.
A volcano explodes.
explode definition by Webster's New World
- to cause to be rejected; expose as false; discredit: to explode a theory
- to make burst with a loud noise; blow up; detonate
- to cause to change suddenly and violently from a solid or liquid to a quickly expanding gas
- to cause rapid nuclear fusion or fission in, with accompanying destructive force
- Golf to hit (a ball) from a sand trap with an explosion shot
Origin: origin, originally , to drive off the stage by clapping and hooting ; from Classical Latin explodere ; from ex-, off plush plaudere, to applaud
- to be exploded; burst noisily and violently
- to break forth noisily: to explode with anger
- to increase very rapidly: the area's population is exploding
explode definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb ex·plod·ed, ex·plod·ing, ex·plodes verb, intransitive
- To release mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy by the sudden production of gases in a confined space: The bomb exploded.
- To burst violently as a result of internal pressure.
- To shatter with a loud noise: The vase exploded into tiny pieces when it hit the floor.
- To make an emotional outburst: My neighbor exploded in rage at the trespassers.
- To increase suddenly, sharply, and without control: The population level in this area has exploded during the past 12 years.
- To change state or appearance suddenly: Over the weekend the trees exploded with color.
- Sports To hit a golf ball out of a sand trap with a shot that scatters the sand.
- To cause to release energy or burst violently and noisily: The children exploded three firecrackers.
- To show to be false or unreliable: explode a hypothesis.
- Sports To hit (a golf ball) out of a sand trap with an explosive shot.
Origin: Latin explōdere, to drive out by clapping : ex-, ex- + plaudere, to clap.
- ex·plodˈer noun
explode - Computer Definition
(1) To break down an assembly into its component pieces. Contrast with implode.
(2) To decompress data back to its original form.