- The definition of backfire is a sound made by an engine because the fuel in it is not burning correctly.
A loud popping noise coming from the engine of a car is an example of a backfire.
- Backfire is defined as something happens in the opposite way than you wanted it to happen.
An example of backfire is when you buy your wife roses to make her happy and she gets mad because you forgot that she hates roses.
- Backfire means the premature ignition of fuel in a car.
A car making a loud explosive noise is an example of backfire.
- a fire started to stop an advancing prairie fire or forest fire by creating a burned area in its path
- a premature ignition of fuel or an explosion of unburned exhaust gases in an internal-combustion engine, sometimes preventing the completion of the compression stroke and reversing the direction of the piston
- an explosive force toward the breech, rather than through the muzzle, of a firearm
intransitive verb-·fired·, -·fir·ing
- to use or set a backfire
- to explode as a backfire
- to have an unexpected and unwelcome result; go awry; boomerang: his plan backfired
- An explosion of prematurely ignited fuel or of unburned exhaust gases in an internal-combustion engine.
- The backward escape of gases or cartridge fragments when a gun is fired.
- A fire started in the path of an oncoming fire in order to deprive it of fuel and thereby control or extinguish it.
intransitive verbback·fired, back·fir·ing, back·fires
- To explode in the manner of or make the sound of a backfire.
- To start or use a backfire in extinguishing or controlling a forest fire.
- To produce an unexpected, undesired result.
(third-person singular simple present backfires, present participle backfiring, simple past and past participle backfired)
- (Of a gun or cannon) to fire in the opposite direction, for example due to an obstruction in the barrel.
- To fail in a manner that brings down further misfortune.
- His attempt to make money by importing luxury cars horribly backfired when fuel prices tripled.
- (firefighting) Alternative spelling of back fire.