- React is defined as to respond to something, or to act in opposition to something.
- An example of react is for a person to quickly pull his hand away after accidentally touching a hot stove.
- An example of react is for a government body to pass a bill to stop an action that is currently going on in the community.
- to act in return or reciprocally
- to act in opposition
- to act in a reverse way; go back to a former condition, stage, etc.
- to respond to a stimulus; be affected by some influence, event, etc.
- Chem. to act with another substance in producing a chemical change
Origin: from Late Latin reactus, past participle of reagere from Classical Latin re-, again plush agere, to act
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb re·act·ed, re·act·ing, re·acts verb, intransitive
- To act in response to or under the influence of a stimulus or prompting: reacted strongly to the sarcastic tone of the memorandum.
- To act in opposition to a former condition or act: composers who reacted against romanticism.
- To act reciprocally or in return.
- Chemistry To undergo a reaction: Methane reacts with hydroxyl to produce formaldehyde.
react - Medical Definition
- To act in response to a stimulus.
- To undergo a chemical reaction.