- to cause (a metal ion) to react with another molecule to form a chelate
- Med. to extract (a metal) from the blood by using a chelating agent, as in the treatment for lead poisoning
transitive verbche·lat·ed, che·lat·ing, che·lates
- Chemistry To combine (a metal ion) with a chemical compound to form a ring.
- Medicine To remove (a heavy metal, such as lead or mercury) from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, such as EDTA.
(comparative more chelate, superlative most chelate)
- (zoology) having chelae, or in the form of a chela
- (chemistry) a chelate compound
(third-person singular simple present chelates, present participle chelating, simple past and past participle chelated)