- Present participle of explode.
- My head is exploding from all this rubbish.
Variant of explode
transitive verbexploded, exploding
- to cause to be rejected; expose as false; discredit: to explode a theory
- to make burst with a loud noise; blow up; detonate
- to cause to change suddenly and violently from a solid or liquid to a quickly expanding gas
- to cause rapid nuclear fusion or fission in, with accompanying destructive force
- Golf to hit (a ball) from a sand trap with an explosion shot
Origin of explodeorigin, originally , to drive off the stage by clapping and hooting ; from Classical Latin explodere ; from ex-, off + plaudere, to applaud
- to be exploded; burst noisily and violently
- to break forth noisily: to explode with anger
- to increase very rapidly: the area's population is exploding