- A shape or design with emanating rays that resembles the flash of light produced by an exploding star.
- An unusually rapid and intense burst of star formation in a galaxy.
diamond and seed pearl starburst brooch
- A violent explosion, or the pattern (likened to the shape of a star) supposed to be made by such an explosion.
- (typography) A symbol similar to an asterisk, but with additional rays: âœº.
- (astronomy) A region of space with an unusually high rate of star formation.
- (astronomy) A period in time during which a region of space experiences an unusually high rate of star formation.
- the Milky Way will see a starburst in approximately 200 000 000 years
(third-person singular simple present starbursts, present participle starbursting, simple past and past participle starbursted)
- (astronomy, of a region of space) To experience an unusually high rate of star formation.
star +"Ž burst