- The definition of starboard is something on located on the right-hand side of a boat or plane.
An example of starboard is the right-hand side row of seats on a plane.
- Starboard is the right-hand side of a boat or plane when facing forward.
An example of starboard is a sundeck on the right-hand side of a cruise ship.
- Starboard is turning to the right.
An example of starboard is turning a boat toward a dock on the right.
Origin of starboardMiddle English sterbord ; from Old English steorbord ; from steoran, to steer (the old rudder being a large oar used on the right side of the ship) + bord: see board
- of or on this side
- designating a sailing tack on which the wind passes over the starboard side
Origin of starboardMiddle English sterbord, from Old English st&emacron;orbord : st&emacron;or-, a steering; see sta- in Indo-European roots + bord, side of a ship.
(third-person singular simple present starboards, present participle starboarding, simple past and past participle starboarded)
- (nautical) To put to the right, or starboard, side of a vessel.
- to starboard the helm